Keep your jewelry sparkling for a lifetime.
Jewelry is made to be enjoyed, and a little extra care will help extend the enjoyment for a lifetime. And if you pass it down, maybe several lifetimes. Use these care tips to extend the shine and sparkle, and keep your stones safely in their settings.
- Get checkups. At least once a year, take your jewelry to a jeweler for inspection and cleaning. They’ll check for loose settings, worn prongs and other potential problems. Ask for tips on how to clean your jewelry at home between visits.
- Clean regularly. Clean your jewelry at home to avoid dirt buildup that can increase wear, but use precaution. It is always best to use warm water and a baby soft tooth brush. Stay away from sinks and drains.
- Don’t wait. If you see a loose stone or a prong that is worn or catches on fabric, it could lead to a lost stone. Take the piece to your jeweler and have it checked immediately.
- Store gently. When you’re not wearing your jewelry, place each item in a separate soft compartment or container. Storing jewelry cluttered together can cause scratches. Never hang necklaces as that can cause them to stretch. Be careful when usingring holders or jewelry dishes as these tend to stack rings on top of each other, which can cause damage.
- Go easy. Diamonds are among the hardest materials on earth, but they can chip if struck at the right angle. Don’t risk a damaged engagement ring. For any potentially high-impact activity, store your ring safely on the sidelines.
- Insure it. Be sure to get jewelry insurance with coverage that’s right for you, so if you do experience theft, loss or damage, you’re covered. Your peace of mind is worth it.